New shoes

Experimentation in progress:

Harriet is in need of shoes now she’;s been walking for over a month, and she’s keen to try walking on pavements and rough ground. I thought I’d try to make a sandal, as it’s been so warm here. These are on the right track…

…but now quite there yet. They tend to slip around her feet a bit, and I think I need to re-think the back strap.
On the up side, they were very easy to make and the lovely think leather came from Hands in Christchurch for only $10/kg, so I definitely have enough for a few more attempts!

Blocked at every turn


So my gauge was a little bit off. Only a little bit, or that’s what I thought. Being the kind of knitter who looks disdainfully on tension squares, I only discover at the end of a project if it’s worked or not. Not sensible, I know, but tension squares are boring. I know that makes me sound like a petulant teenager, but really, who has the time or willpower to knock out ten square centimeters of wasted wool? I do take precautions though… I used a 4 ply wool and size 3 needles for this pattern. I cast it off, rustled up the baby and whacked it on… just to see how much too big it would be.

It wasn’t too big. Thank goodness it wasn’t too small either, but all that work for something she’ll get a month’s wear out of… hmmm, don’t think so. As you can see, I tried blocking it (another thing I’m too much of a lazy knitter to usually do), and it’s stretched out a little, but I’m going to have to size up my needles when I start on this.

As a consolation though, a present came in the mail from my mother in law. A felted Country Road fine knit jersey, some beautiful cotton and pleather! I’m thinking tunic and peasant top for H and a tote for me.