Summer-Mumma-mades

Recycled dress using my favourite pattern, again. It used to be an old nighty from the Gap, but the smocking elastic went and then it was just a shapeless pile of pretty fabric. Not any more!

One of Harriet’s grandfather’s shirts, cut down into a summery tunic. Shown here with no pants, ahem, but ordinarily, I’d suggest something more. I used a great free pattern from babyccinokids.com, although it’s super hard to find on their website. I think this would work well on a boy as well… probably turned around and maybe with a collar? I’ll definitely use it again, maybe even with some fancy twists (and some pants).

Advertisements

New chair

Well… a new-to-me chair cos there’s no way this puppy could be mistaken for something fresh off the line.

Who knew the lovely Sallies on Taranaki St would deliver for ten smackers? Bargain. And they carried it up my two flights of stairs (weirdly) on their heads. Go them.

So after my unfortunate, but very comfy chair was delivered, I set to work. Four meters of piping and some creative pinning later, I discovered that I was not very good at this. I kept at it though, I’d already hacked into my lovely 5 meter length of ticking and there was no way through this, but to sew it up. Some of it made it to the machine, but a lot of it was hand sewn.

I intended on loosely basting it together then running the seams under the machine, but I found hand stitching oddly absorbing and compulsive and my stitches got smaller and smaller until finally the machine was quite redundant. It took forever though, and I found out why thimbles were invented, not that I have any, but I bear the scars.

It was worth it though. Final result… something I can let the baby touch!

Blocked at every turn


So my gauge was a little bit off. Only a little bit, or that’s what I thought. Being the kind of knitter who looks disdainfully on tension squares, I only discover at the end of a project if it’s worked or not. Not sensible, I know, but tension squares are boring. I know that makes me sound like a petulant teenager, but really, who has the time or willpower to knock out ten square centimeters of wasted wool? I do take precautions though… I used a 4 ply wool and size 3 needles for this pattern. I cast it off, rustled up the baby and whacked it on… just to see how much too big it would be.

It wasn’t too big. Thank goodness it wasn’t too small either, but all that work for something she’ll get a month’s wear out of… hmmm, don’t think so. As you can see, I tried blocking it (another thing I’m too much of a lazy knitter to usually do), and it’s stretched out a little, but I’m going to have to size up my needles when I start on this.

As a consolation though, a present came in the mail from my mother in law. A felted Country Road fine knit jersey, some beautiful cotton and pleather! I’m thinking tunic and peasant top for H and a tote for me.

Op-shop-portunity

Finally a smidgeon of success, with thanks to the Sallies on Taranki St and Opportunity for Animals in Kilburnie.  All lovely autumn-y things…
A linen smock for Small:

An epaulette shirt I wish would fit me, but will fit Harriet shortly:

A 100% lambswool zip up J Crew sweater for me:

$9 well spent. Or at least I think so… Harriet doesn’t get a say yet!