Tricky Beasts

Buttons. They can completely change the flavour of a garment, they can make of break your knitting. And it’s really hard to find good ones. They’re all plastic, and they are either old lady-ish, a rugby ball, something pink and cheap looking or faaaaar too expensive for the likes of me. Tracking down a goody is hard.

Anyway, I’ve finally finished the finishing of the cable cardigan from Drops.

My plan all along had been to go with red buttons and to sew a red and white striped ribbon up the edge where the buttons sat. But somehow I left Goldings with orange buttons instead. When I laid them out, they were great, but really orange. In the centre of each one, I’ve sewn in a white and a turquoise bead from a mini-stash my aunt sent me.

It seems to tone down the orange, without reducing its effectiveness. I’m very pleased with the result! And when Harriet finally gets to wear it (in 6 months time, it’s photograph over a size 1 year tee… I think my blocking worked), hopefully she’ll have grown out of eating small choke-able objects!

Spoon feeding at our house

Is not popular unless the baby is holding the spoon, as you can see with this Red Thai curry (!) and rice.

And custard? I can do it myself, thanks.

Oh, sorry, what did you say? I’ve got custard, where? Behind my ears… I know, I was storing it for later. In my hair… well, what do you condition with? Up my nose… I like the smell. And anyway, Mummy, there’s custard all over you as well.

New chair

Well… a new-to-me chair cos there’s no way this puppy could be mistaken for something fresh off the line.

Who knew the lovely Sallies on Taranaki St would deliver for ten smackers? Bargain. And they carried it up my two flights of stairs (weirdly) on their heads. Go them.

So after my unfortunate, but very comfy chair was delivered, I set to work. Four meters of piping and some creative pinning later, I discovered that I was not very good at this. I kept at it though, I’d already hacked into my lovely 5 meter length of ticking and there was no way through this, but to sew it up. Some of it made it to the machine, but a lot of it was hand sewn.

I intended on loosely basting it together then running the seams under the machine, but I found hand stitching oddly absorbing and compulsive and my stitches got smaller and smaller until finally the machine was quite redundant. It took forever though, and I found out why thimbles were invented, not that I have any, but I bear the scars.

It was worth it though. Final result… something I can let the baby touch!

Finishing things


These have been in the mostly completed pile since I was 6 months pregnant. The just needed to be sewn up the sides and have the necks and arm holes finished.

They took bloody forever to knit in artisan weight wool, in a beautiful and highly recommended Margaret Stove pattern… but I am the worst kind of lazy and never got around to finishing them. Now that the weather cooled down, I have a bit more of an incentive.

Also, this makes it worth it!

Blocked at every turn


So my gauge was a little bit off. Only a little bit, or that’s what I thought. Being the kind of knitter who looks disdainfully on tension squares, I only discover at the end of a project if it’s worked or not. Not sensible, I know, but tension squares are boring. I know that makes me sound like a petulant teenager, but really, who has the time or willpower to knock out ten square centimeters of wasted wool? I do take precautions though… I used a 4 ply wool and size 3 needles for this pattern. I cast it off, rustled up the baby and whacked it on… just to see how much too big it would be.

It wasn’t too big. Thank goodness it wasn’t too small either, but all that work for something she’ll get a month’s wear out of… hmmm, don’t think so. As you can see, I tried blocking it (another thing I’m too much of a lazy knitter to usually do), and it’s stretched out a little, but I’m going to have to size up my needles when I start on this.

As a consolation though, a present came in the mail from my mother in law. A felted Country Road fine knit jersey, some beautiful cotton and pleather! I’m thinking tunic and peasant top for H and a tote for me.

Baby Led Weaning

So in our house, this is really the truth. I am doing no leading. Harriet is in almost total control here, and it’s a wee bit frightening for the precedent alone. Harriet was so keen to start the eating process, she has been grabbing food out of my hands, and way too often it was of the chocolate variety. I did my reading and we started solids. I mashed and pureed, Harriet spat out and clamped her jaw shut. Then she reached for whatever I was eating.
She wouldn’t eat baby rice. She wouldn’t eat pureed apple. She wouldn’t eat pureed pear. She would eat rusks… and she kept grabbing food out of my hands. So I gave in, and now am really pleased I hadn’t bought a stick whiz!
Things she will eat so far: apples (I give her a whole apple with a bite out of it and she just sucks it), rice crackers, broccoli, courgette, cauliflower, toast (with jam or Marmite), carrot, kumara and pumpkin.
And although I haven’t had to buy a stick whiz or a mouli, I have invested in long sleeved bibs, and huge plastic floor mat, wipe clean placemats and Gill Rapley’s book.

It’s really interesting to watch her eat. Instead of just opening and closing her mouth for a spoon, she really investigates her food. She pokes holes on the courgette, pincer grips bits of cracker, squeezes broccoli to let the water run out and mashes the pumpkin everywhere!